Social Care News

As well as posting regular social care news updates on this page, we also provide an RSS feed for all news content posted on this website - click here to subscribe for free and keep up with everything that's going on.

View our news archive »

5th February 2015

Mark Drakeford: Child sex abuse inquiry should include Welsh representatives

Wales’ Health and Social Services Minister, Mark Drakeford, has called on the UK Government to ensure Wales is fully represented on the Independent Panel Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
In a letter to the Home Secretary, Theresa May, Mr Drakeford welcomed the appointment of New Zealand's Attorney General, Justice Lowell Goddard, to chair the independent panel but has repeated his calls for the appointment of members, "with distinct representation from Wales."
Mark Drakeford said: "I have again made clear to the Home Secretary our very clear expectation that the panel’s membership and work should be representative of Wales and the landscape within which the devolved and non-devolved agencies have exercised their responsibilities for responding to allegations of abuse from children and the safeguarding framework for preventing that abuse.
"I have reaffirmed in the strongest possible view of both the Welsh Government and the National Assembly for Wales that the appointment of panel members should include distinct representation from Wales.  It has been, for some time, our view that the panel membership lacked experience and understanding of the Welsh context.
"I have asked the Home Secretary to set out, as soon as she is able, her proposals for the appointment of the new panel members and the timeframe within which she proposes to take this forward, as well as  her proposals for engaging the Welsh Government in that process."

Read more on this story

Welsh Government - 'Child sex abuse panel should have representation from Wales' – health minister

« back to Home Page

Care Compare Wales

Search our database of more than 450 quality care providers by county,
care category
or keyword.

Need help with your search? Get help with
finding a care provider